A session starts either when the app starts for the first time or comes back to the foreground after some inactivity.
As long as a user is interacting with an app and events are triggered the session for that particular user continues.
A session ends in one if the following three cases
- The app was in the background for a preconfigured timeframe, which can be changed in the justtrack dashboard and is set to 1 minute by default.
- We did not receive any events from a user for a preconfigured timeframe, which can be changed in the justtrack dashboard and is set to 30 minutes by default.
- In this case, the 30 minutes do not count towards the session length.
- The session ends at the time we received the last event.
- Every session ends at midnight to make sure the time spent in the app is counted towards the day at which it occurred.
- If we receive a new event after midnight, a new session will start.
Once the session ends, justtrack will calculate the total length of the session.
Note that it may take up to 2.5 hours after session end until Average Time Spend in App and the Average Session Length are updated on the justtrack dashboard.